Trim Healthy Mama; Being a good Example, even on Halloween. I found this drawing on my kitchen table after Sunday dinner this last week. Thank you Jane (my granddaughter)… we DO love good food! Jane’s mom, one of five of us here at Spooniful (you might remember her as a recovering Whole Grain Jane) has been an amazing example of healthful eating to her 6 children. They all know how to, and do, make healthful food choices. For example, at Halloween, once they bring their candy home, she creates a fun ‘Halloween Shop’ where they can trade their candy for healthful treats and other fun items. They love it, it’s special, and the traded candy goes to a good cause….somewhere else besides her kids little bodies! Once, quite a few years ago, I tried to give my now 8 year old grandson Jacob (he was about 4 at the time) a chicken strip from a Dairy Queen children’s meal for lunch as a little treat. He picked it up, but couldn’t put it in his mouth… he wouldn’t even taste it; he looked up at me and asked if he could please have some yoghurt (plain!) instead. Of course I complied 🙂 I am a much better example to my grandchildren (having been, can you guess? A Drive Thru Sue) in the healthful eating department, though we did a lot of wholesome home cooked meals, they were high in carbs and crossovers. Thanks to THM I understand what to eat to fuel my body and keep my blood sugar in check, without adding unnecessary pounds. I am as thankful as many of you are for the opportunity to become slimmer, healthier, and much more confident in my food choices. Eating well is not only important to our own health, but we model a healthful lifestyle to our children and grandchildren, even at Halloween!
Fall Special! FREE THM Family Sized Not-Naughty-Noodles included with all orders over $125. You don’t have to do a thing… we will put the noodles in your box with your order! Offer valid Oct. 30 through Nov. 5 or while supplies last. According to the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook (pg. 27) konjac noodles from the grocery stores may have non-plan ingredients in them, like potato starch, and they may have a fishy smell (the brine) that requires rinsing and boiling before cooking. THM Not-Naughty-Noodles do not have that strong smell, and do not need to be pre-boiled. This free offer is a great chance to give them try! There are several tasty noodle dishes in the cookbook, like Asian Gold soup on pg. 124, and Coconut Thai Chicken on Pg. 45 as two examples; there are 14 noodle recipes listed, and so may noodle dishes to try on Pinterest and Facebook. THM ladies are eager to share the love. Here’s a favourite of mine; it isn’t precise because you can sort of add as much as you want based on what you have on hand: Asian Fusion Noodle Recipe Saute onion, celery, red and/or green diced peppers, chopped mushrooms and garlic, and/or whatever else you might fancy (as you have on hand). Set aside. Saute diced chicken, thinly sliced steak, or shrimp (your preference) until cooked, in coconut or sesame oil, til not quite done. Add Bragg Aminos, peanut butter, hot sauce, and stirfry/toss till meat is done. Start with 1 Tsp. of each and build as you like. Add the set-aside veggie mix back in the skillet. Serve on hot Trim Healthy Mama Not-Naughty-Noodles. Sprinkle with Nutritional Yeast and diced green onions, or a few crushed peanuts if desired. Here’s a link to the learn more about Not-Naughty Noodles: https://spooniful.ca/shop/trim-healthy-mama-thm/trim-healthy-mama-not-naughty-noodles-family-size/ Happy Fall!
What do you think of when you think of freeze dried fruit? I know what I used to think of. I thought of the the weird strawberries in Special K and the hiking food. There is no way I would ever purchase this stuff for a snack, and even if I wanted to, where would I go about purchasing it? My perspective on these freeze dried goodies has changed completely! I’ve been gobbling them up at home like mad. Even my dog likes them, though she’s a pug and pretty well enjoys anything that makes it’s way into her mouth. The great thing about these guys is that they keep in your pantry! I know what you’re thinking… Why would I buy freeze dried fruit when I can buy a dried fruit that I already know is delicious? The answer: unlike most dried fruit, freeze dried fruit does not have ANY added sugar. It packs almost as much nutrients as fresh fruit and is way lower in the forever daunting calorie count. Perfect for Trim Healthy Mama’s, Diabetics, or just anyone looking for a healthy and yummy snack. This Triple Berry Blend has my seal of approval!
We five at Spooniful are always on the lookout for new products that support your THM lifestyle. We want you to know that we use the products we bring in ourselves, so we only bring in what we love, and can stand behind. We have added several new products this week:
- Crio Brü Cavalla French Roast – in the Beverage category. Crio Brü is a brewed drink made from 100% premium cocoa beans, roasted to perfection. Named after the most prized of cacao beans, the Criollo, Crio Brü will astound your taste buds with its complex flavors and subtle aromas which come right from the cocoa bean itself! It is 100% natural and 100% pure.
- Two new loose herbal fruit teas (also found under Beverages and/or Good Girl Moonshine: Apple Verbena and Pineapple Dreams. Our loose teas are so fragrant, and of a premium quality – they make a lovely GGMS or just a wonderful cup of tea!
- We have brought in a new size of authentic African Bolga Basket – a ‘large mini’ just to be confusing 🙂 … so we now carry a mini, a large mini, medium, and large Bolga Baskets. I can’t tell you how amazing these baskets are… they are very useful, and easy to care, as well as beautiful. We all use ours all the time! Theytruly are superb gifts, to give as is or to give filled with goodies…thinking ahead to the Christmas season.
- Two weeks ago we brought in freeze-dried okra, cauliflower, kale and berries – these foods are sold in pouches, and are so delicious they can be used a snack right out of the bag, but of course are meant to cook with. Very cool!
- Last but not Least! The new Trim Healthy Mama Integral Collagen, Just Gelatin, Himalayan Mineral Salt, and Family Sized Not-Naughty-Noodles are expected in the store early next week. As soon as I know they are on their way to me for sure, I’ll turn on the buttons so they can be ordered, for an expected delivery date of middle of next week. We’re excited!
I’m a die-hard mac & cheese lover. I eat all levels and types of mac & cheese, from the blue box to the bacon topped steakhouse dish. Love it. And since starting Trim Healthy Mama, I’ve missed my favourite comfort dish. But now I have a new love: Spaghetti Squash au Gratin. Spaghetti Squash au Gratin Recipe Who needs noodles? Not me. I’ve got spaghetti squash, and it’s amazing. As it stands, this is a great S side dish, but could easily be made into a casserole-style main dish with the addition of some protein. Might I suggest bacon? Or perhaps a nice rotisserie chicken that you picked up from the deli to make your life easier just this one night? In any case, this dish is a hit. It requires no special ingredients or a particular amount of cooking skill. If you can make that blue box stuff, you can probably make this, too. And since squash is in season, like, RIGHT NOW, tis the season for Spaghetti Squash au Gratin.